UK State Visit to the White House
In March 2012, I was selected by Obama administration’s social media team to attend the arrival ceremony welcoming the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to the White House.
I provided social media coverage of the event through Twitter, helping to communicate back to my audience the important work on the agenda for the state visit, including the financial crisis in Europe, geopolitical tensions in Iran and Syria, trade policies between two of the world’s largest economies and more.
As part of the event, I also attended a number of briefings at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building adjacent to the White House. Among the speakers at the briefings were:
- White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer
- National Security Council Spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden
- UK Embassy Communications Director James Barbour
- National Economic Council Member Brian Deese
- Director of Digital Strategy Macon Phillips
- White House Director of Public Engagement Jon Carson
The event provided exceptional insight into the special relationship between the United States and United Kingdom and afforded the opportunity to discuss social media and engagement strategies with some of the most intelligent and experienced professionals in the field.